Tips for Preventing Tick Bites
The best way to avoid tick bites is to stay out of tick-infested areas. Follow these tips when working or walking in areas that may be infested with ticks.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and pants. Light colors are best so ticks are easier to detect.
- Secure the bottom of pants inside socks or tie close around ankles.
- Wear a hat to help cover your head and hair. Tuck in long hair under your hat.
- Use tick repellent applied to clothing, particularly the lower body and the arms.
- Wash clothing in warm water and detergent immediately. Never throw potentially infested clothing in a hamper with other clothes or on the floor.
- Protect pets by keeping them out of tick-infested areas and consult your vet for tick treatment products.
- Inspect pets carefully after walking in wooded areas and fields.
Ticks that may have attached themselves to your skin must be removed carefully. Do not squeeze the tick as this may squeeze their fluid into your skin causing infection. Use a tick remover, available from Modern Pest Services. Place the wide part of the notch on the skin near the tick, sliding the remover forward to detach the tick, working slowly to withdraw the tick’s mouthparts, lowering the chance of the head being left in the skin. After removal wash the area with soap and water to prevent infection.