Education and early detection are critical steps in preventing flea infestations. A flea-infested dog or cat can introduce hundreds of new flea eggs into a home each day, leading to enormous flea populations. Once a home becomes infested, control can be challenging, time-consuming and expensive.
If fleas are found, both pets and their surroundings will need treatment as soon as possible. Below are a few tips for year-round flea prevention:
- Vacuum carpets regularly, focusing on areas where
pets spend a lot of time.
- Wash dog and cat bedding weekly in hot water
- Treat pets with veterinary-recommended flea control
products and/or medications
- Watch for signs of a flea infestation:
- scratchy skin or skin infections
- white rice-like pieces (tapeworm) in pet feces
- actual fleas or “flea dirt” (dark specs of dried
For additional information, see “Flea Removal and Proper Extermination”
If you have a flea infestation, don’t wait. Call us today at 1-800-323-7378 and ask about our comprehensive HomeCare Green Program that controls 60 unwanted pests in your home, including fleas.