As a business owner, you are probably well aware of the importance of maintaining a positive public image. One thing that can really threaten your hard earned image and reputation are insects, rodents and nuisance wildlife. Bed bugs, rodents, flies and pest birds are just a few of the many pests that can really take a toll on the success of your business. The image of a filthy workplace, the risk for injury as well as illness, disease, potential litigation matters, even the high remediation costs are all concerns that accompany a pest infestation. So, to help avoid any of the above situations, here are 10 tips to prevent a hostile takeover.
- Sign up for commercial pest control services like Modern’s EcoCare Commercial Services to protect your business year round. In addition to your own pest prevention measures, having regular commercial pest control services is essential to avoiding the threats that pests bring.
- Inspect the exterior of the facility and fill in or close off any cracks, holes, or other openings. You want to create a barrier around the business to keep pests outside.
- If you plan to keep windows or doors open through the warmer months, make sure they are well intact with screens or other barriers. Facilities with loading docks may want to consider flaps or other large screens that will help keep pests from getting inside.
- Take the trash outside at the end of every day because trash really is treasure, or a buffet if you will, to pests such as rodents, cockroaches and flies.
- Be sure that dumpsters are located away from the exterior of the facility since they tend to attract flies and many other critters. All dumpsters or other trash receptacles need to be closed off with lids. Also, do not allow crates, cardboard boxes or other trash to accumulate outside the dumpster.
- All food surfaces should be sanitized before and after each use to prevent the spread of bacteria and disease from pests like flies landing on surfaces.
- Any open food should be sealed in airtight containers so that pests cannot gain access. This goes for restaurants, cafeterias, and even small office buildings.
- Always take cardboard outside instead of letting it pile up in the facility. This only creates conditions in which roaches and flies can multiply. Clutter should always be kept to a minimum, even eliminated altogether so that pests do not have the opportunity to hide and multiply.
- On the exterior of the facility, avoid heavy landscaping and water features, which can attract pest birds that could easily become an ongoing problem.
- Implement employee training so that all staff members are savvy in recognizing the signs of pests as well as knowing exactly how to report a pest problem with discretion.
To learn more about commercial pest control in Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts, please contact Modern Pest Services today. We offer many different commercial pest control programs tailored to fit the needs of your business. Our specialized pest control programs are designed to eliminate the threat of pests so that you can get back to business as usual without the negative impact of pests. Contact us a call today to get a FREE Inspection!
Modern Pest Services is a 2012 Angie’s List Super Service Award winner!
Would you like to stay up to date on the latest in Pest Prevention? Subscribe to our blog!