You’re sitting on the couch, eating a bowl of popcorn while you scroll through Netflix. You muted the trailers since that feature is annoying. And then you hear it. A squeak.
Did it come from the floor? The wall? Maybe even from inside the couch?
One thing is certain, it sounded like the squeak of a mouse. So, what does this mean for you and your house? And how can Modern help?
There’s a mouse in your house. Now what?
First off, it’s very unlikely that you have just one mouse in your house. Mice are prolific breeders. One female mouse can give birth to 32-56 pups every year. If you heard one, you can pretty much guarantee there are more.
Your home is the perfect winter rodent refuge, complete with warmth, water, and food. According to the National Pest Management Association (NPMA), rodents such as mice and rats invade an estimated 21 million homes in the U.S. every winter.
Heard a squeak? A scurrying in the walls? It might be mice! Call Modern today at 1-800-323-7378 to schedule service or get a free, custom quote.
Are you sure it’s a mouse?
There are several ways to know if that squeak you heard was a mouse.
- You’ve heard scratching and scurrying noises, perhaps in the walls or in kitchen drawers or cabinets.
- You can smell them. Mice have a musky, ammonia smell like stale urine.
- You’ve seen their feces or stains from their urine.
- You’ve seen sebum stains on walls along their routes. Sebum is a mix of urine, dirt, and body oil that they leave behind as they travel.
- They’ve gnawed on your things- food packaging, furniture, wood trim, plastic. Mice gnaw constantly to keep their incisor teeth sharp.
It’s a mouse. What does that mean for you?
- Mice can chew through wiring and cause fires. Not only is this damage expensive, it can be deadly. Mice are estimated to cause up to 20% of undetermined fires in the U.S. every year.
- Mouse waste can damage insulation and wood. Damage to insulation can compromise the heating and cooling efficiency of your home. You might not even know it’s happening until extensive and costly damage has occurred.
- Their constant gnawing can contaminate food and damage property and structures. They can destroy family heirlooms, paintings, books, documents, and other irreplaceable items stored in attics, basements, and garages.
- Mice are known to spread 35 diseases and can cause serious health risks to both humans and pets.
Don’t let a few mice turn into an infestation. Call the professionals at Modern today at 1-800-323-7378
OK, you don’t want mice. Modern can help!
Modern Pest can definitely help with a mouse issue, whether you’ve only heard one squeak, have an infestation, or want to prevent a future problem. Our Homecare Green program protects against over 50 common household pests, including mice and rats. Modern’s licensed Service Professionals can figure out how mice are getting in, and what areas could be an issue later on. They know where to look for signs of mice and can provide tips about keeping mice out. The pros at Modern know how to get mice out and keep them out.