Composting is a great way to boost your garden’s yield while helping the planet. Processing organic matter like leaves and vegetable scraps into nutrient-rich compost not only reduces the need for chemical fertilizers, but it recycles matter that might otherwise end up in a landfill. Some gardeners even refer to compost as Black Gold.
While beneficial, compost piles can also attract unwanted wildlife to your yard, such as bears, rodents, raccoons, and possums. Sometimes these animals can become such a nuisance that you need professional help from Modern Pest’s Wildlife Control Team. But there are ways to maintain your compost pile while reducing the presence of wildlife:
- Exclude the following foods from your compost pile:
- Meat, fish, and bones
- Dairy products
- Grease and oil
- Anything with seasonings
- Build compost piles away from bird feeders, pet bowls, and natural food sources like trees with berries
- Cover kitchen scraps or vegetable garden trimmings (green matter) with an 8-inch layer of leaves, straw, or organic matter that’s in the process of decomposing (brown matter)
- Use compost bins that inhibit wildlife access, such as:
- Enclosed bins with solid bottoms and securely-latched lids
- Tumbler-style bins resting on supports
- Wood bins with tight mesh wire sides and hinged lids made from fiberglass or wood
- Bins where the aeration holes have been covered with wire mesh or hardware cloth (but not plastic since rodents can chew through it)
- Bins with bricks securing any easy-to-remove lids
- Large, open bins with heavy covers (such as wooden pallets) placed over them to limit access
The Modern Solution
While these methods are effective for keeping animals out of your compost pile, you might still have nuisance wildlife on your property. Animals like raccoons, possums, and groundhogs can damage your home and spread disease. Modern Pest’s Wildlife Control Program protects against these and several other animals. We take great pride in the quality of our work, and will treat your home with care.
As Wildlife specialists, we know how to protect your home, family and/or business from the risks associated with nuisance wildlife the right way by using effective and responsible animal damage control methods. Call 1-800-323-PEST today for a free quote or to schedule service!