Temperatures are dropping and fall foliage is nearly at its peak. Football, field hockey, and soccer fields are filled with action. County and state fairs are pumping out the fried dough and award winning vegetables. And while it might seem like mosquitoes are a summer problem and a thing of the past in autumnal New England, they haven’t gone anywhere. Mosquitoes are not just annoying. They can also make you very sick.
The risk of getting a mosquito-borne disease increases through late summer and early fall. Mosquitoes will remain active until the first heavy frost. The Connecticut Department of Public Health recently reported that mosquitoes trapped in southeastern Connecticut tested positive for Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE).
What is EEE?
While EEE is rare, it is no joke. It is a disease caused by a virus, and there is no treatment for EEE. It is a cause of encephalitis (brain infections), and approximately 30% of people with EEE die. Many people who survive have ongoing neurologic problems. Few people recover completely.
Symptoms of EEE show up three to ten days after a bite from an infected mosquito. They include:
- Fever (often 103º to 106ºF)
- Stiff neck
- Lack of energy
- Inflammation and swelling of the brain (encephalitis) is the most dangerous and frequent serious complication.
- The disease progresses quickly and some patients may go into a coma within a week.
Don’t take a chance on EEE and other mosquito-borne diseases like West Nile, Chikungunya, and Zika. Call Modern Pest today at 888-976-8853!
How to Avoid EEE
- Wear long pants, long-sleeved shirts, and socks when you’re outside to reduce the places a mosquito can get you.
- Use EPA-approved bug sprays that contain DEET, picaridin, IR3535, or oil of lemon eucalyptus.
- Keep mosquitoes out of your home by repairing screens or any gaps in windows or doors they could pass through.
- Remove areas of standing water around your home to reduce breeding areas.
How Modern Can Help!
- Are you a city or town official? Call Modern Pest! Our ecocare Tick and Mosquito Control program will keep your parks, ball fields, stadiums, school playgrounds, and any other public areas safer from the diseases mosquitoes and ticks can spread to your residents and visitors.
- Call your elected officials and request they use Modern to keep you, your family, and your pets safe from mosquitoes and ticks!
- Own a home? Our Homecare Mosquito, Flea, and Tick service provides a meaningful reduction in all three disease-spreading vector pests. Modern will keep your outdoor spaces safer and more enjoyable throughout spring, summer, and fall.