Spring’s mix of warmth and moisture is practically an alarm clock for pests to emerge from their overwintering spots. Activity increases inside and outside of homes as pests seek food and water. Many are looking to mate. The warmer weather also wakes up pests that are already inside your walls from last fall. Some will accidentally wander into your home looking for sustenance. So, what pests can you expect and how can Modern Pest help to keep them out?
What Pests Can You Expect?
There are several pests that will be emerging from their winter shelters. They include:
- Mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks become active when temperatures reach a consistent 50 degrees in early spring.
- Bees and wasps awaken from their dormant state.
- Termites begin to swarm and look for mates.
- Ants venture inside to seek higher ground and safety from heavy rain.
- Asian lady beetles who overwintered in your walls will seek water around sinks or in showers.
- Larder beetles are nature’s recyclers and feed on the dead insects inside of your walls. They are often spotted wandering around the house.
- Boxelder bugs emerge from their overwintering spots in walls and attics and attempt to leave the house to seek food and water
- Cluster flies will congregate around windows on warm days, trying to find a way out.
How Do You Keep Them Out?
The National Pest Management Association (NPMA) recommends the following actions to keep spring pests from entering your home:
- Maintain a one-inch gap between soil and wood portions of a building.
- Keep mulch at least 15-inches from the foundation.
- Seal cracks and small openings along the bottom of the house.
- Eliminate sources of moisture or standing water.
- Keep tree branches and other plants trimmed back from the house.
- Keep indoor and outdoor trash containers clean and sealed.
- Screen windows and doors.
The Modern Solution
Modern Pest can reduce the populations of these pests in your home and yard all year round. Homecare Mosquito, Flea, and Tick protects against all three vector insects, and drastically reduces their populations in your yard. Homecare Green protects against 60 common household pests, including stinging insects, ants, beetles, and flies. Call Modern today at 1-888-997-3312 or click here to schedule service.