It’s National Pest Management Month! For most people, it might not be as exciting as, say, Christmas, but around here it’s a pretty big deal! National Pest Management Month began more than thirty years ago. It is intended to bring awareness to pests as a public health issue, as well as recognize the efforts of those in the pest control industry.
Since this observance falls in the spring when pests begin to come out of winter hiding, it’s a good time for homeowners to spend some time on their pest control efforts. Some common household pests include Carpenter Ants, Pavement and other Small Ants, Termites, Springtails, Earwigs Sow Bugs, Centipedes, Millipedes and Spiders. This is the time of year that pests begin to multiply and, in the case of ants, this population growth usually includes habitat expansion. More often than not, homes are within the growth range of existing ant colonies, and this can lead to troublesome infestations.
Here are some simple things you can do to protect your home from pesky invaders this spring.
• Remove dead leaves, twigs and debris that may have built up in your yard over the winter. These are perfect homes for bugs and insects!
• Trim trees or bushes near your home; make sure to cut back any branches that are touching your house, as they can serve as a ‘walkway’ for bugs to enter.
• Clean your gutters.
• Fill in any cracks or gaps in windows, doorways and the foundation.
• Clean your kitchen thoroughly to remove any tempting food crumbs.
• Clean out cluttered storage areas where pests can hide.
• Repair any leaky pipes or fixtures; many bugs are looking for a water source.
• Contact Modern Pest Services for an effective year-round pest management solution.
• If you currently have service, tell your pest control technician thank you, and Happy Pest Management Month!
These preventative actions can help stop an infestation before it begins. It is much easier to prevent a pest control problem than to stop one!
The lack of a pest management program in the spring will allow pests unfettered access to the home, potentially causing damage and spreading disease. A successful spring service will lay the groundwork for pest-free warm weather months and provide a foundation on which future pest management services can be built.
Modern Pest Services has been serving New England with fast, effective pest control solutions for the home and workplace for more than sixty-nine years. We have proven our reputation by providing consistent quality services and we have been recognized by the National Pest Management Association as a QualityPro company. If you haven’t experienced the Modern Pest difference, try us for your pest control needs!