As winter approaches, pests seek refuge in the warmth of our homes, posing a challenge for homeowners. An often-overlooked aspect of cold-weather preparation is safeguarding your home against pest invasions. In this guide, we’ll explore essential steps to minimize the risk of pests making your home their winter haven, and how Modern Pest can help.
Around the Yard
- Remove leaf litter from around your home, as it serves as a harborage for many pest species.
- Clear weeds from around your home to eliminate potential food sources for rodents.
Wood Pile Management:
- Store wood piles away from the structure to reduce the risk of rodents and wood-destroying insects.
Landscaping for Rodent Control:
- Keep bushes and grass cut short to reduce favorable conditions for rodents and minimize rodent pressure.
Eliminate Standing Water:
- Dispose of or fix containers that trap water, as standing water supports pest conditions around the home.
- Regularly drain items like pool covers and boat covers to eliminate water sources for pests and breeding sites for spring mosquitoes.
- Trim trees away from the structure to reduce wildlife access to the roofline.
Ready to enlist the pros? Call Modern today at 800-323-7378!
Around the House
- Winter is an excellent time to inspect old pantry items, such as flour and pasta, to prevent infestations of stored product pests.
Ornamental Product Inspection:
- Inspect ornamental food products like “Indian corn” and macaroni art to ensure they haven’t become infested while in storage.
Seal Entry Points:
- Seal gaps and crevices on the exterior using a sealant designed for outdoor use. This prevents overwintering insects from finding their way into your home.
Rodent-Proofing with Steel Wool:
- Use coarse steel wool to close openings of 1/4″ or larger, a simple yet effective measure to keep mice at bay.
Door Sweeps for Energy Efficiency:
- Install door sweeps or brushes under doors with gaps larger than 1/4″ to conserve energy and deter rodents and pests from entering.
- Clear leaves and organic material from gutters to prevent ice dams and damage to the roof, which could create conditions conducive to pests.
Pets and Wildlife
Secure Storage for Seeds:
- Use metal or rodent-proof containers to store grass seed and birdseed, protecting them from hungry mice and rats.
Wildlife Feeding Caution:
- Refrain from feeding wildlife around your home, as this attracts pests. By eliminating potential food sources, you make your property less appealing to rodents and other unwanted guests.
Pet Waste Management:
- Despite cooler weather, remove pet waste frequently, as it may serve as a food source for rodent species.
Outdoor Pet Feeding:
- Avoid feeding pets outdoors to minimize the risk of attracting pests.
The Modern Solution
When you call the pest control experts at Modern, they can help in many ways. Service Professionals will inform you of any possible pest entry points that should be sealed. They can also apply materials that create a barrier against pests trying to access your home. And with Modern’s Anticimex SMART technology, Modern can wirelessly monitor your home for rats, mice, squirrels, and other pests that want to use your home as their winter getaway. SMART operates 24/7, 365, without the use of cameras. When activity is detected, Modern’s headquarters is alerted so we can address the issue. With SMART technology, we’ll know there’s a rodent issue before you do!
By following these comprehensive steps and enlisting the help of Modern Pest, you can fortify your home against pests and ensure a comfortable, pest-free environment during the winter months. Implementing these measures not only protects your property but also contributes to a healthier and more enjoyable living space for you and your family.