Termite Awareness Week is usually the second week of March. It’s a national observance where the pest control industry educates the public about termite risk and prevention. Following an unusually warm winter, professionals are predicting an early termite season.
Termites are one of the most destructive pests and can cause $5 billion in damage annually. They feed on the cellulose found in wood and paper products during the spring. Unfortunately, termite damage usually isn’t covered by homeowners’ insurance.
Once you have a termite infestation, it can’t be controlled with do-it-yourself methods. As licensed pest control professionals, Modern Pest’s Homecare Termite Control Service can assess the damage and determine an appropriate action plan.
Modern Pest now offers financing options for termite services through GreenSky. Click here to apply now!
What are Termites?
- There are three castes of termites: reproductive (which are most commonly seen), soldiers, and workers.
- The average colony consists of 60,000 – 250,000 termites and is located in the ground.
- They can enter structures through cracks as small as 1/16 inch.
- The workers will feed on wood, then return to the colony to feed the immature workers, reproductives, and soldiers.
- A colony of 60,000 could eat 5 grams of wood each day.
What Can You Do to Prevent Termite Damage?
Here are a few steps homeowners can take to help prevent termites from causing significant damage:
- Routinely inspect the foundation of your home for signs of mud tubes, cracked or bubbling paint, and wood that sounds hollow when tapped
- Reduce moisture around the home
- Monitor all exterior areas of wood
- Seal cracks on the outside of the home
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the home and keep mulch at least 15 inches from the foundation
- Inside your home, you should reduce humidity through proper ventilation of crawl spaces, attics and basements
If you think you might have termites or want Modern Pest to inspect your home, call today at 1-800-323-7378 or click here.
What are the Signs you Already Have Termites?
- Winged reproductive termites “swarming” in early spring or after a rainfall
- Dead termites or cast-off wings from swarmers
- Mud tubes appearing on or around the foundation of your home
- Dirt accumulation from mud tubes
- Damaged wood, holes in wood and/or warped doors or floors
- Wood baseboards or floors that sound hollow
The Modern Solution
What can you expect from Modern Pest Services when we visit your home?
Our residential termite control program includes:
- INSPECTION – An in-home termite inspection noting current termite activity, visible damage, and conditions conducive to future activity.
- INSTALLATION – Professional installation of the Sentricon Termite Colony Elimination System, using Recruit® termite bait inserted into strategically placed in-ground bait stations around your home.
- MONITORING – Continuous monitoring for new or increased termite activity.
- MAINTENANCE – Regular maintenance of the always active Sentricon System.
If you think you have an issue with termites, call Modern today for an inspection at 1-800-323-7378.